[GRASS5] XDRIVER

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Apr 9 15:36:58 EDT 2001

I'd like to suggest integrating the new XDRIVER code into the source
tree.

The current mechanism of having "configure" modify several files
(which are under CVS control) suffers from a couple of problems:

1. Running "cvs diff" includes the differences between the *.new
versions of the files and the CVS versions. This is a bit of a
nuisance if you're doing general tidying (minor changes to many
scattered files), where it's simpler to diff the whole tree than to
figure out exactly which files need to be diff'd.

2. Anyone running "cvs commit" without thinking will overwrite the CVS
versions (fifo?) with whichever version is in their build tree at the
time (probably sockets).

If I hadn't encountered (1) first, I probably would have encountered
(2) instead.