[GRASS5] Re: GRASS on Cygwin

John Huddleston jhudd at lamar.colostate.edu
Fri Apr 6 09:50:04 EDT 2001

Markus, Andreas, and Malcolm,

I had a hard disk crash.  My power management system turned
off my disk during a download, caused a disk failure, plus the
pagefile.sys was on another drive and it was wiped out.  So,
I have reloaded software, figured out the pagefile.sys problem,
lost all my email; however, recovered everything else.  I do
development on a 20GB drive E:, backups to a F: drive, and
home CVS to the C: drive.   I lost the C: drive so I do not have
past revisions of my PhD work other than the incremental
backups to the F: drive.  Takes time to recover.

Markus, let me know when you tag everything.  From now on
I will check out the Tagged code and build it rather than checkout
the HEAD of the cvs.

I looked at the startxwin.bat file.  It is well documented and
users will be able to figure out how to use it.  I simply have
an icon to /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm and no BAT file is spawned,
only the xterm window.

Concerning the NVIS build, I could figure it out for us if you
want me to do it.   I was close and only had a handful of
unresolved links.  My next approach would be to start with none
rather than what is there, and build until all are resolved.
Let me know.

Instead of spawning the xterm from the BAT in ME, just
start X-Win32 and then start an xterm with bash and then
start grass.  It takes less "environment" space.

Yes, I will make a bindist next time as well as a ZIP.  I will
add the programs that you have identified.  Are these them-
ash, bash, bzip2, clear, cygwin, file, fileutils, findutils, gawk, grep,
less, login, man, ncurses, regex, sed, shellutils, tar, termcap,
textutils, zlib?

Did I miss anything else?

John Huddleston