[GRASS5] Arrow keys and default pager

Reinhard Brunzema r.brunzema at web.de
Wed Apr 4 04:43:26 EDT 2001

> Second issue: I see that the default pager for GRASS man pager is
> "more",
> but under linux the default pager is usually "less", much more powerful
> and easier to use. I'm getting tired of typing "export PAGER=less" every
> time I login in GRASS... couldn't it be a default option if "less" is
> available on the machine (at least under Linux)?

Hallo,
I had the same thoughts a couple of days before. A possible solution
would be:

Replacing the lines
---
	# Set some environment variables if they are not set
	if [ ! "$PAGER" ] ; then
    		PAGER=more
    		export PAGER
	fi
---
with
---
	# Set some environment variables if they are not set
	if [ ! "$PAGER" ] ; then
		lesspath=`which less 2> /dev/null`
		if [ -x "$lesspath" ] ; then
			PAGER=less
		else
    			PAGER=more
    		fi
    		export PAGER
	fi
---
in file grass5/etc/Init.sh (About line 61). Works fine for me.

R. Brunzema