[GRASS5] [bug #782] (grass) r.out.ascii/r.in.ascii

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Aug 2 21:58:48 EDT 2001

Request Tracker wrote:

> GRASS:/mnt/usr4/projects/nevada/coeur > r.out.ascii
>
> OPTION:   Name of an existing raster map
>      key: input
> required: YES
>
> Enter the name of an existing raster file
> Enter 'list' for a list of existing raster files
> Hit RETURN to cancel request
> > unionville_dem
> <unionville_dem>
>
> OPTION:   Name of an output ASCII grid map (use out=- for stdout)
>      key: output
> required: YES
>
> Enter the name of an existing raster file
> Enter 'list' for a list of existing raster files
> Hit RETURN to cancel request
>
>   Notice that when the input map is named, the option for output map
>   name is skipped and the input name is requested again. It runs fine
>   after this:

It appears that the author didn't quite understand the command-line
parser. That argument has:

    parm.output->gisprompt  = "old,cell,raster" ;

which tells the parser that the "output" argument is the name of an
existing raster map layer (it isn't; it's a filename).

I'll commit a fix to this.

>   BTW, the same bug appears in r.in.ascii. I can file a separate
>   report on that if so desired. Again, input name is requested. When
>   provided, output name request flies by on the screen and the input
>   name is again requested. The second time the module works as
>   advertised.

r.in.ascii may have a bug, but it's not the same bug. Only "output"
has a "gisprompt" value.