[GRASS5] [bug #783] (grass) NVIZ segmentation violation

Request Tracker grass-bugs at intevation.de
Mon Aug 6 02:37:31 EDT 2001

this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=783

Subject: NVIZ segmentation violation

Platform: Linux/Intel
Linux distro: Slackware 8.0
linux cpu: PIII 550
Xwindows version: 4.1.0
Xwindows manager: GNOME
TclTk version: tcl/tk 8.3
grass downloaded at: Baylor site
grass binary for platform: I compiled the sources myself
grass sources source: no, I got a source code package from the server
c compiler name: gcc

$:nviz -q
..then.....
Version: @(#) GRASS 5.0.0pre1 (May 2001)

Authors: Bill Brown, Terry Baker, Mark Astley, David Gerdes
	modifications: Jaro Hofierka

Please cite one or more of the following references in publications
where the results of this program were used:
Brown, W.M., Astley, M., Baker, T., Mitasova, H. (1995).
GRASS as an Integrated GIS and Visualization System for
Spatio-Temporal Modeling, Proceedings of Auto Carto 12, Charlotte, N.C.

Mitasova, H., W.M. Brown, J. Hofierka, 1994, Multidimensional
dynamic cartography. Kartograficke listy, 2, p. 37-50.

Mitas L., Brown W. M., Mitasova H., 1997, Role of dynamic
cartography in simulations of landscape processes based on multi-variate
fields. Computers and Geosciences, Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 437-446

http://www2.gis.uiuc.edu:2280/modviz/viz/nviz.html

The papers are available at
http://www2.gis.uiuc.edu:2280/modviz/
Adding panels from /usr/local/grass5/etc/nviz2.2/scripts
Nv_(panels)
toplevel made
child killed: segmentation violation
    while executing
"exec /usr/local/grass5/etc/nviz2.2/NVWISH2.2 -f /usr/local/grass5/etc/nviz2.2/scripts/nviz2.2_script -q -name NVIZ >&@stdout"
    ("eval" body line 1)
    invoked from within
"eval exec $env(GISBASE)/etc/nviz2.2/NVWISH2.2 -f $env(GISBASE)/etc/nviz2.2/scripts/nviz2.2_script $argv -name NVIZ >&@stdout"
    invoked from within
"if {$argv == ""} {
#no arguments
eval exec $env(GISBASE)/etc/nviz2.2/NVWISH2.2 -f $env(GISBASE)/etc/nviz2.2/scripts/nviz2.2_script -name NVIZ >&@stdo..."
    (file "/usr/local/grass5/bin/nviz" line 13)

I got no errors when compiling the sources....all the rest of grass works just great...but nviz...doesnt....
I Xfree i use a DRI accelerated vid card.
I re-summited this bug because i the resolved one...they told the it was necesary to get grass from the sources...