[GRASS5] g3d

Helena hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Thu Aug 9 07:45:17 EDT 2001

Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Helena wrote:
>
> > evolution of g3d is a long story and as of now it is still buggy and will
> > be hopefully part of next release (GRASS5.1). It is for working with
> > volumetric data - 3D rasters. Look at our website for examples of
> > applications that we have done for the prototype.
>
> Helena,
>
>   Thanks for the insight. I assumed that the purpose was volumetric analysis
> and disply, so how closely related to nviz is it? Do the g3d modules do data
> processing that's displayed with nviz?

yes, nviz has already the interface part for it - it should call r3.showdspf
(which does not work completely either as it does not do the "walls", boxes
and fences) and display the isosurfaces, crossections and other type of volume
stuff along with multiple surfaces, vectors and sites. That is what sg4d did.
For whatever reason Bill could not finish it for nviz. There is a lot of stuff
that we have prototyped
for GRASS5 which is not being released as there is a long way from a prototype
to releasable code.
Quite a bit of work for years ahead.

Helena