[GRASS5] WARNING: CVS broken

Jan-Oliver Wagner jan at intevation.de
Fri Aug 10 02:43:26 EDT 2001

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 11:31:54PM +0100, Glynn Clements wrote:
> > > repository has suffered a botched merge attempt. I *really* hope that
> > > someone has a backup.
> >
> > If there are no better solutions then I have the the entire tagged release
> > that I downloaded and updated about 4 1/2 hours ago. I've made no changes.
>
> I meant a backup of the repository itself; I reverted my local copy
> with "cvs update -r ... -D ...".
>
> But the repository itself would ideally be restored to the state it
> was in before the snafu. Otherwise there's going to be a pretty
> massive artifact in the revision history. Unfortunately CVS doesn't
> have a "rollback" command.

before we'll have a look at the trouble, just a comment:

The CVS repository is mirrored each night to another
computer (in some kilometers distance from the main server,
so that even a fire or something like that can not destroy
original and backups at the same time).
Furthermore every evening the whole stuff is written to a tape.
Since we don't reuse tapes, there is a large quantity now
that ranges back to the beginning of the GRASS CVS
allowing to retrieve a repository for almost any date.

Hope you can sleep better now :-)

Jan

--
Jan-Oliver Wagner               http://intevation.de/~jan/