[GRASS5] ODBC driver build problem

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Fri Aug 10 16:17:24 EDT 2001

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> What is gmake5 under the hood?  Is it just a script setting up makefiles
> for old style (non-GNU) make?

I think so. AFAICT, it's a workaround for "make" programs which don't
have an "include" directive.

> A few other "developer" questions:
>
>  o How do folks normally do quick global builds when they just want to
>     refresh things.  I find the current mechanisms insistance on
> reprocessing
>    all the html/man stuff makes it very slow to do a top level make.

Personally, I just run "make" and wait.

I don't actually do that many global builds. If I'm working on
something, I normally just use "gmake5".

I usually only do a global build after a "cvs update" (compared to
which, a global build is quick).

>  o Do developers normally do a "make install", and run from the
> installed tree
>     during development, or somehow run directly from their build tree?

The latter; "cd /usr/src/grass ; bin.i686-pc-linux-gnu/grass5".

> > Did you check out the development branch then commit the entire tree
> > to the release branch? That might explain it.
>
> I certainly don't think I did any global commits, but it is possible I
> did. I am normally very careful to commit only specific file lists.

I doubt that you would do a global commit without noticing.

> However, I looked into some of the items folks mentioned were screwed up now
> and couldn't find any suggestion that I had made any sort of commit to the
> files.

Right. Running "cvs log" on the re-appearing files doesn't show any
recent entries.