[GRASS5] Time to go mad: CVS completely messed up?!

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Tue Aug 14 13:11:31 EDT 2001

Markus Neteler wrote:

> after comparing the Changelog for
>
>  releasebranch_11_april_2001_5_0_0
> and
>  releasebranch_14_august_2001_5_0_0
>
> it seems I go mad (please hold me if I am wrong).
>
>     The CVS is completely MESSED UP for MONTH!
>
> If you want to join the "party" get these files
> and diff (I like mgdiff, a graphical diff to compare):
>
> http://grass.itc.it/cvs_madness/
>  ChangeLog_releasebranch_11_april_2001_5_0_0.gz
>  ChangeLog_releasebranch_14_august_2001_5_0_0.gz

Did you get these the right way around?

The topmost entry in the "11_april" version is:

	* src/display/d.rgb/cmd/: Gmakefile, init_rgb.c, local_proto.h,
	main.c, rgb.c: Remove d.rgb/cmd, which was erroneously added to new
	branch.

But this is the first thing which I did to the "14_august" branch.

> If this comes true, we have much work... Now I know
> why I dislike branches.

Bear in mind that any information regarding the
releasebranch_11_april_2001_5_0_0 tag may be completely bogus. If my
suspicion is correct, the repository has been tagged twice with this
tag.

I suggest that developers:

1. Take a backup of their working directory,

2. Use:
	cvs update -r releasebranch_14_august_2001_5_0_0

3. Check that the new version contains any changes you have made.

If bandwidth is not an issue, you might wish to use "cvs checkout"
instead of updating an existing directory.