[GRASS5] r.out.tiff

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Fri Aug 17 20:21:04 EDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 05:23:08PM +0000, Kevin Slover wrote:
> I have posted a message to the user group for help with the r.out.tiff
> command, actually compatiability issues I am having between RH 7.1 and
> Win 98...and got a few responses, but none have worked
> I am outputting an image to tiff, ftp'ing it to my windows machine, and
> attempting to open it with either a photo editor or even MapInfo, and am
> not able to get an image.  Exporting a ppm, I am able to open it in
> Windows, but the image is not an image, but a bunch of lines...
> I have tried all options within the commande (output as tile (or not),
> output tfw (or not) output 8 and 24bit, and still no resolution..are
> there any hints out there??

I trust the images are being ftp'ed in binary mode?  Can you view them
under Linux okay, say with GIMP, XV, or some other image viewer?

TIFF files are not platform dependent and may be big or little endian
(the reader must handle both).  I have transferred TIFF's to Win NT
and used them in ArcView and Arc/Info with no problems.  So, I'm not
sure what the problem is here...

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>