[GRASS5] WARNING: CVS broken

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Thu Aug 23 12:34:20 EDT 2001

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 06:13:19PM +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Markus:
> Some information might be lost by CVS commands.
> Source is never lost, but tags might.
>
> In removing the irritating tag, which never should have been created
> in the first place, I also eliminated information on which files
> were on the tags.
>
> Check the cvs status output which describes per file which revisions
> are tagged for what. cvs log describes which changes were done between
> revisions.

Well, if the non-branch-tag elimination also removed this tag description
(while keeping the sources) I feel that neither "cvs log" nor "cvs status"
can see anything (as it is removed). Hopefully I am wrong.

It is not clear to me *when* (Date) the non-branch tag
"releasebranch_11_april_2001_5_0_0" has been applied. This may reduce the
number of log-lines to analyse (at time 250k lines).

> All in all reading the Cederquist and examining the outputs of these
> commands will deeped your cvs knowledge for the future I think.
> So it is worth the time.

Well, I try my very best :-)

If
 - we know when the non-branch tag was applied
 - we have a version shortly before the application

we might find out which code was removed due to the non-branch tag-removal?
Just another guess...

> Sorry that I cannot answer all questions in complete detail.
> 	Bernhard

Markus