[GRASS5] Regarding specifing projections and (NEWS) in newlocation

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Mon Dec 3 10:11:57 EST 2001

To others,

I will answer this directly as this is more of a users question than developers question, but for the developers
this shows one basic issue that I have observed with other new users (especially those comming from the ESRI
world and not having sound GIS/cartographic background) -
people have quite a bit of difficulty with GRASS start-up asking them to set-up location.
I believe that a TCltk interface to that with a short text explanation what it is all about should solve it.
And we will have some tutorials and literature available hopefuly soon for those who need it.

I would like to stress that I like how GRASS has the data organized by location and mapset - it is blessing
for me that GRASS is forcing me to have my projects nicely oragnized and I can even find from mapsets
who has done what for projects many years old - so I am a strong advocate
for keeping this basic structure, it just needs to be made a little bit easier to define - in particular,
typing the coordinates and moving around the entries in the region setting is realy awkward.
Wasn't there a plan to do that some time ago (did we lose Justin?), I haven't seen it addressed in 5.1 agenda

just my comment - no need to answer

Helena