[GRASS5] Re: [winGRASS] newbie question: XFree86 and GRASS

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Dec 10 12:13:28 EST 2001

Andreas Lange wrote:

> > What about following:
> >  - we build the winGRASS without and driver as package1
> >  - we put the X11 based XDRIVER in package2
> >  - we put the libG11.dll based XDRIVER in package3
> >
> > Users just download 1 && ( 2 || 3) and we don't waste too
> > much space by duplicating 99% of the packages (in case we
> > want to provide both display drivers).
>
> at the first thought this seems to be a good idea. But i don't know if
> some of the d.* modules and other parts are linked to the X libraries.

1. d.scale is linked against Xlib if it is present (for "d.scale -i").
2. xganim uses Motif, and hence Xt, Xext, Xlib.
3. The native XDRIVER uses Xlib, obviously.
4. That's all, according to "ldd $GISBASE/etc/bin/*/*".

> And we will have to provide some sort of installtion script or a
> detailed installation instruction (for windows users?).
>
> I decided to stick to the X11 based distribution. This does not mean
> that i don't like the effort with the libG11.dll, but i don't have the
> time to support the other version too.

If there's to be an "official" binary release for Cygwin, it shouldn't
require X (unless there are significant problems with the G11
XDRIVER). "d.scale -i" certainly doesn't justify requiring X, and
xganim probably doesn't either.