[GRASS5] Polygon Simplification... (d.area revisited)

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Tue Dec 11 03:41:26 EST 2001

Okay, haven't finished implementing it yet, but I managed to try
writing up how I'm attempting to do it...

(bring out the way-back machine about d.area and handling
holes as well as clipping...).

I think I understand an algorithm that should produce the
desired results.  But I haven't yet finished implementing it.
Given, it might take me a while to get it done, I thought I'd
try to explain it, and if any enterprising soul wants to
give it a crack... just try to get it done before I do ;-)

I've posted a little write-up and some poorly done graphics
that try to illustrate the process at:

http://pweb.jps.net/~egm2/grass/algorithms/poly_simplify/algorithm.html

Perhaps it will make sense to someone?  Perhaps it is flawed?
Perhaps I will figure out how to get working code for it...?

With a little bit more thought, I think the general concept
described can be extended/modified for general overlay
operations...

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>