[GRASS5] Re: d.his r.his question

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Dec 12 12:40:33 EST 2001

Eric G. Miller wrote:

> > > Treating colour images as a single raster layer with R*G*B distinct
> > > categories is something of a kludge. In the absence of vector-valued
> > > cell maps (i.e. band-interleaved-by-pixel), the next best thing (IMHO)
> > > is separate R,G,B maps (effectively band-sequential).
> > >
> > > I'm having second thoughts about whether r.his and r.composite should
> > > have separate arguments for each channel, though. It might be better
> > > to just have input=/output= and require that the bands are called
> > > foo.r, foo.g and foo.b.
> >
> > ... that's  a good suggestions which reduces typing efforts.
> > eventually just:
> >
> >  input=name [prefix=name]
> >
> > if !prefix
> >  prefix=input
> >
> > [...]
>
> Umm, wouldn't imagery groups work?  Already set-up for specifying the
> RGB bands...

Probably. I wasn't familiar with imagery groups when I wrote this
stuff. Actually, I'm still not familiar with them. If that's deemed to
be the right way to go, I'll look into it.

However: should r.composite be retained? E.g. for the benefit of users
who aren't familiar with imagery groups, and are looking for an
r.<something> command to process their raster maps.