[GRASS5] How to patch vector maps?

David D Gray ddgray at armadce.demon.co.uk
Fri Dec 14 15:22:28 EST 2001

Hi Markus,

This is one function in the vector library that could do with improvement.

I find that there are *far* fewer problems if you work with polylines
when intersecting. Attempts to patch polygon maps result in loss of some
lines, principally simple islands. Then v.spag. This usually introduces
many small lines of 2-3 points that are hard to find and eliminate. So,
maybe backup the dig_att list, convert polygon data file to lines with
v.area2line or v.polylines, then v.patch and v.spag, clean up with
v.spag -i and v.clean, and change back to polygons with v.line2area or
v.polylines. restore the dig_att file and build.

I was in fact pondering this very problem today. When I get back into
coding in earnest in the new year, I was thinking that the various
vector processing modules could do with re-arangement (for the 5.1
release of course). v.patch and v.spag (intersection) should be
combined, possibly with various options, and v.clean and v.spag -i also
should be combined into one module.

David