[GRASS5] [bug #882] (grass) Configure errors

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Dec 20 14:44:59 EST 2001

Bob Covill wrote:

> I don't know if it is related or not. On my latest build (Solaris 7) I
> ran into some configure problems. The TCL / TK options would not build
> even though they are installed. When I examined the config.log I found
> compile errors related to the linker. I then manually editted configure
> and added the -lsocket -lnsl -ldl flags to the TCL and TK lines of
> configure. This allowed the test program to build and recognize that TCL
> / TK was installed on my system.

1. Library dependencies won't affect the header check (which is
failing for Andrea).

2. If you send me the appropriate bits of config.log, I'll update the
checks to allow for the libraries in question.

NB: this is one of the biggest limitations of autoconf. You just have
to iterate through known combinations until one works. Which means
that you need to know all of the combinations.

> I also ran into the same problem of having to run configure with a whole
> lot of things disabled. To build it on my (dated?)  Solaris system I had
> to use the following....
>
> ./configure -with-postgress=no -with-gd=no -with-odbc=no -with-ddtw=no
> -with-blas=no -with-lapack=no -with-freetype=no
>
> I am used to disabling postgress for the Solaris but there seems to be
> alot more options that need disabling if packages are not installed. I
> am not a configure expert, but is it not possible for configure to
> disable the feature if it is not found, rather than exiting with an
> error?

Then the user doesn't notice that the feature was disabled, and files
a bug report.

The discussion surrounding this behaviour can be found in the thread
entitled:

	[bug #801] (grass) compilation errors in  grass5.0.0pre2

from September 2001.