[GRASS5] NVIZ and GLX: hardware openGL

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Fri Feb 23 09:51:56 EST 2001

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 05:58:07PM -0800, Eric G. Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 06:34:03PM +0000, Markus Neteler wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > just received a new NVIDIA Geforce compliant video card.
> > I had to upgrade the Xserver and activated hardware-openGL
> > on my linux box.
> >
> > NVIZ get's *extremely* fast!
> >
> > However, the window is partly disturbed, a sort of backing store
> > problem. But all the Mesa examples have the same problem.
> > Is there someone with experience here? Maybe off-list as
> > it seems to be a non-GRASS problem.
>
> You might go to Nvidia's website.  I think they have some special
> drivers (binary only) and instructions.  At least, I've seen several
> mentions about this on the debian-user mailing list...

Hi again on this issue,

yes, I got it!

Conclusion:
 - get original binary Xfree 4.0.2 from www.xfree.org (.tgz packages
   with nice install script)
 - in case of NVIDIA: Install additionally their drivers
 - install MESA GLU and GLUT (but not GL!!)

 -> enjoy high speed NVIZ (maybe 10-800 times faster)
 -> enjoy high speed vis5D
 -> enjoy high speed Mesa demos

It's great. Note: The Xfree4.0.2 from SuSe is quite instable. I wasted
much time on it, finally replacing it with original Xfree version.

This should work with any 3D-video card as the original Xfree detects
it (if supported).

Cheers

 Markus