[GRASS5] gui startup - mapset

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Tue Feb 20 23:55:18 EST 2001

Hi Radim

Radim Blazek wrote:

> Hi,
>
> if I run grass5 tcltk startup interface in mapset frame are displayed
> only directories owned by ??? (owner of some startup script probably).
> It is because in tcltkgrass/script/gis_set.tcl is used condition
> [file owned $i]  which should be true if file is owned by current user
> but I can see only dirs owned by user who compiled grass.
> (suid somewhere?)

This is very strange. The only directories that should appear are those
owned by the user. According to Tcl/tk manuals, it has nothing to do
with the owner of the startup script. And I do not know of any suid in
the initialization. Did this behaviour just start recently, or was this
happening all along?

> I think we could remove that condition.
> (It should be test if user can write to selected mapset,
> but we can postpone ..... grass51)

This should be implemented in conjunction with either Roger Miller's
changes to allow group access to mapsets, or even better, file level
locking - use UNIX permissions to decide who can read/write what, and
lock map files when opened.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th