[GRASS5] GRASS 5 and sockets: default?

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Tue Feb 20 11:26:27 EST 2001

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 05:05:04PM +0700, Justin Hickey wrote:
> Hi
>
> Markus Neteler wrote:
> > the sockets driver is maturing quickly. Question is if
> > we should make it default for the forthcoming 5.0.0
> > or not.
> >
> >  - we need a platform report about it's quality
> >      o SGI:
>
> The windows now close when using tcltkgrass, but I get e-mailed the
> message
>
> GIS ERROR: Monitor <x0> is already running
>
> I'm not sure why.

Well, for some reason I see tcltkgrass has a "d.mon start=$mon" followed
by a "d.mon stop=$mon".  I'm not sure why it's set-up like this...

In src/tcltkgrass/main/gui.tcl:

proc stop_monitors {} {
    foreach monitor [search_xdrivers] {
        exec d.mon start=$monitor >& /dev/null
        exec d.mon stop=$monitor >& /dev/null
        script_add "d.mon start=$monitor >& /dev/null" "cmd"
        script_add "d.mon stop=$monitor >& /dev/null" "cmd"
    }
}

Since it's run without a controlling tty, and the monitor is already
running when d.mon is asked to start it again, you get an error message
in your mailbox from d.mon...

Anybody want to hit me with a clue stick as to why tcltkgrass would
first try to start the monitor? only to kill it?

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>