[GRASS5] GRASS development model Was: A private conversation

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Mon Feb 19 14:14:22 EST 2001

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 08:58:00AM -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
[...]
> What I intended to be a constructive dialog (dia == 2) has
> become the general ego-generated flame. I'm both disappointed and disgusted.

I have been writing personally to Rich to calm down this discussion.
In fact I should be more careful in future to cc to the grass5
list, means to get the o.k. from the opposite side of the email line.
The reasons for me were the "anarchy" Rich sees in current development model
which sounded rather offending to me.

Well...

My recent suggestion to Rich is to prepare a *detailed* list of things to
be improved in GRASS development model. Rich is right that the last
two releases weren't lucky. Therefore I have prepared a step-by-step
"ruleset":

http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/~checkout~/grass/documents/release_rules.txt

which still needs to be improved. Like that stupid problems shouldn't happen
any more. We definitly need to improve the pre-testing phase (hi volunteers,
we need more testers).

Hopefully we can come back to a pieceful and rational discussion here on
GRASS development model.

Regards

 Markus Neteler