[GRASS5] GRASS 5 and sockets: default?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Feb 19 12:49:33 EST 2001

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 04:15:06PM +0000, Markus Neteler wrote:
> the sockets driver is maturing quickly. Question is if
> we should make it default for the forthcoming 5.0.0
> or not.

Note: Fifos will still be available for everybody who has problems with
the sockets, so it is just optional.

The reason to make the socket driver the default in the
configuration is that the fifo driver does not have a working
backing store under all conditions and nobody was to fix this so far.

We should not add more features to the socket code.
This can be left for 5.0.1 or 5.1...
	Bernhard

>  - we need a platform report about it's quality
>      o Linux: running well (better than fifos)
>      o SGI:
>      o Windows/Cygnus:
>      o FreeBSD:
>      o Solaris2.6/SUN: running well (better than fifos)
>      o Solaris8/SUN:
>      o Solaris/Intel:
>  - what's missing (hi Eric)
>         - locks directory moved to $HOME/.grass5/ (?)
>         - ?
>  - what's to be postponed to 5.1:
>         - scale in top line of monitor (?)
>         - auto-redraw when resizing  (?)
>         - ?

The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
FSF Europe                                            	  (fsfeurope.org)