[GRASS5] GRASS development model Was: A private conversation

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Feb 19 12:23:24 EST 2001

Rich,

we would all like to hear about your concerns regarding the
development process. When I read through the replies I could see on
this mailinglist, your opinion was treated in a polite manner.

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 08:58:00AM -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 mlennert at club.worldonline.be wrote:
>
> > Software development, and open source especially, is always
> > subject to debate between the "cathedral and the bazar". Yes,
> > sometimes, it helps to have someone say stop, let's do it now,
> > but generally I think it is the dynamic process of ongoing
> > development as a result of usage that makes the best programs.
> > And who defines when is the right moment to say stop, and on
> > what criteria ?

>   Stop and think for a minute: where would the linux kernel be if it was
> developed as GRASS-5 is being developed? Ask youself if you are for or
> against Linus making the final decisions regarding what's in the kernel, at
> what version, and when it's time for a release.

Well GRASS is almost developed like the Linux kernel, were do you
see the difference? It is Markus who does the final decision based
on the arguments made by reputated developers and the discussion on
this mailinglist. As far as I know this equals Linus' way of
deciding things.

And you are right in the direction of Moritz that it is a lot better
to have someone who decides. GRASS project leader is Markus and he
has full control over what goes into a release.
(Maybe this is a missunderstanding about how CVS is used?
CVS actually adds more control to the project leader.)

>   There is a compelling counter argument for each point you make. But, I no
> longer care. What I intended to be a constructive dialog (dia == 2) has
> become the general ego-generated flame. I'm both disappointed and disgusted.

Please do not feel offended. I believe that it was nobodies'
intention to flame you.

	Bernhard

The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
FSF Europe                                            	  (fsfeurope.org)