[GRASS5] GRASS development model Was: A private conversation

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Feb 19 11:58:00 EST 2001

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 mlennert at club.worldonline.be wrote:

> Software development, and open source especially, is always subject to debate
> between the "cathedral and the bazar". Yes, sometimes, it helps to have
> someone say stop, let's do it now, but generally I think it is the dynamic
> process of ongoing development as a result of usage that makes the best
> programs. And who defines when is the right moment to say stop, and on what
> criteria ? Is the new socket code important enough to wait, yes or no. Richard
> asks Markus to be the one to decide. Well, he has and he has decided that it
> is important enough. I respect this decision.

Moritz,

  Stop and think for a minute: where would the linux kernel be if it was
developed as GRASS-5 is being developed? Ask youself if you are for or
against Linus making the final decisions regarding what's in the kernel, at
what version, and when it's time for a release.

  There is a compelling counter argument for each point you make. But, I no
longer care. What I intended to be a constructive dialog (dia == 2) has
become the general ego-generated flame. I'm both disappointed and disgusted.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
              Making environmentally-responsible mining happen. (SM)
 + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard at appl-ecosys.com