[GRASS5] GRASS 5 and sockets: default?

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Mon Feb 19 11:15:06 EST 2001

Hi all,

the sockets driver is maturing quickly. Question is if
we should make it default for the forthcoming 5.0.0
or not.

 - we need a platform report about it's quality
     o Linux: running well (better than fifos)
     o SGI:
     o Windows/Cygnus:
     o FreeBSD:
     o Solaris2.6/SUN: running well (better than fifos)
     o Solaris8/SUN:
     o Solaris/Intel:
 - what's missing (hi Eric)
        - locks directory moved to $HOME/.grass5/ (?)
        - ?
 - what's to be postponed to 5.1:
        - scale in top line of monitor (?)
        - auto-redraw when resizing  (?)
        - ?

I have the impression that the sockets driver is the last thing
missing for 5.0.0 (stable) except the few release-critical bugs in BUGS.
We won't be able to get G3D stable, so that will be postponed to
GRASS 5.1 (and left out of 5.0.0).

What about the NVIZ troubles? I cannot reproduce Helena's problems.

Markus