[GRASS5] One step at a time.

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Feb 18 21:23:11 EST 2001

On Sun, 18 Feb 2001, Malcolm Blue wrote:

> Check to see if the files  /usr/local/grass5/dev/fifo.1a,
> /usr/local/grass5/dev/fifo.1b, etc. exist and that they are fifo files.    They
> should have permissions like prw-rw-rw-.

Malcolm,

  Nope. /usr/local/grass5/dev is a shell script, not a directory.

> If these don't exist, you should be able to create them with the create_fifos.sh
> script in /usr/local/grass5/dev.  Run it as:
> ./create_fifos.sh  /usr/local/grass5

  See above. There is no create_fifos.sh because there's no directory called
dev/. It's a shell script file.

> Did you install as root or as a user?  You may need to make sure that you have
> write permissions on the dev directory.

  Most source files I can compile and make as a user, then it requires root
access to run 'make install'. That was the case here, too. Only root has
write permission to /usr/local/

  I understand, too, there are now permission problems, and only the mapset
owner can work with those files. IMO, that's not a good thing. Leave the
*nix permissions to do their thing and let local administrators modify
access groups to suit their needs and security philosophy.

  /usr/local/grass5/dev is owned by root:

-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root          977 Feb 16 16:27 dev*

  When I try running, `./dev /usr/local/grass5', nothing meaningful happens:

touch: /usr/local/grass5/dev/fifo.15b: Not a directory
rm: cannot remove /usr/local/grass5/dev/fifo.16a': Not a directory
touch: /usr/local/grass5/dev/fifo.16a: Not a directory
rm: cannot remove /usr/local/grass5/dev/fifo.16b': Not a directory
touch: /usr/local/grass5/dev/fifo.16b: Not a directory
rm: cannot remove /usr/local/grass5/dev/fifo.17a': Not a directory

All because dev is a file, not a directory.

  Something's quite broken here.

Thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
              Making environmentally-responsible mining happen. (SM)
 + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard at appl-ecosys.com