[GRASS5] Re: r.thin

Helena hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Fri Feb 16 16:54:23 EST 2001

Federico, Markus,

I am not sure whether I understand correctly what you have done,
but I would not rely on keeping the raster in RAM, raster files that people
may want to process may be huge and complex and they won't compress
that well and you will end up with users complaining that they cannot
use r.thin because they don't have enough RAM - it is much easier to find extra
disks space
than extending your RAM. So I suggest that writing a compressed
file to disk should be there even if it is slower, at least as an option.

Helena