[GRASS5] grass5install.sh error on mac os x

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Thu Feb 15 06:46:18 EST 2001

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 06:57:11PM -0800, Jeshua Lacock wrote:
> >On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 07:39:23AM -0600, andy agena wrote:
> >  > Hello all:
> >  >
> >  > I received the error below after cat'ing Jeshua's binary pieces.  The
> >  > installer didn't recognize the cat'ed package as a .tar.gz, when I added
> >  > the .tar.gz when cat'ing.  Then I tried cat'ing to a file named
> >  > 'grass5.0beta11_Darwin_bin' and tar'ing and gz'ing it.  This solved the
> >  > installer's problem with .tar.gz.  Below is the output after running the
> >  > install script.
> >  >
> >  > Thanks,
> >  > Andy Agena
> >
> >Jeshua,
> >
> >didn't you split the tar.gz package? If not, how to make one package
> >from it? Obviously the cat is wrong.
> >
> >  Markus
> >

> Hi Markus,
>
> Yes, the package was split. And per your suggestions on how to split
> segments you instructed to join using cat.
>
> Here's what you said (private correspondence) on Tue, 14 Nov 2000
> 14:02:05 +0000:
> >Yes, of course:
> >
> >        split - split a file into pieces
> >
> >Split into 5MB packages:
> >
> >split --bytes=5m bigfile.tar.gz prefix=grass5_macosX_bin.
> >                                                 ^^^
> >
> >add the dot!
> >
> >the numbering is .aa .ab. ac etc
> >
> >To put them together later use
> >
> >cat grass5_macosX_bin.aa grass5_macosX_bin.ab  > bigfile.tar.gz
>

> I myself have never joined a gzip, only split them.  I notice you
> have published the segments, perhaps you can join the segments and
> post it???  BTW: if you don't use cat, what do you use?

Hi all,

I have no idea about this. Currently the new MacOS-GRASS seems to be
corrupted.

Even "file" cannot detect the format. If Jeshua has no time to package
it again, could you, Andy, compile and package it?
Or, Jeshua, maybe you uploaded in ASCII instead of BIN to your server?
Or my "wget" didn't get it properly?

Sorry for no better news,
 Markus