[GRASS5] new directory structure?

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Sun Feb 11 21:55:15 EST 2001

Hello Bill

"Eric G . Miller" wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 10, 2001 at 03:36:18PM -0700, bakerwl wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > After installing beta11, I'm a little confused about the new
> > directory structure.  Maybe I did something wrong, or maybe
> > one of the "make clean" variations fixes this.
> >
> > It looks like I get identical copies of the /bin /bwidget /documents
> > /driver /etc ...and so on directories in both:
> >
> > /usr/local/grass5
> > /usr/local/grass5/grass5.0beta11_src/dist.i686-pc-linux-gnu/
> >
> > I just put the *.tar.gz in /usr/local/grass5 and unzipped/untarred
> > then went into grass5.0beta11_src and ran:
> > ./configure
> > make
> > make install
> >
> > ??
>
> Yes, this is "correct".  Essentially the set-up builds everything into
> $(SRC)/dist.$(ARCH).  "make install" basically copies this to the
> final destination.  Given the way gmake5 and the sources are set-up,
> this was a work around to allow a full build to be done (as any old
> user) and then the install to be done as a priveledged user.
>
> It probably would be better if each Gmakefile built its final modules
> in OBJ.$(ARCH) and then there was an "install" target, but I don't
> think the gmake5 setup will work this way (not sure).  That's probably
> how grass5.1 will work.

Just to add to Eric's comments.

This new directory structure follows methods (described in Eric's first
paragraph) used in several Open Source software and is recommended by
the GNU software coding standards (see the section titled "Standard
Targets for Users" at http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards.html#SEC53 for
more details).

If you want to delete the $(SRC)/dist.$(ARCH) and $(SRC)/bin.$(ARCH)
directories then issue a "make clean" command.

Hope this helps.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th