[GRASS5] Bad Fifo! - Mac OS X

Jeshua Lacock jeshua at SierraMaps.com
Fri Jan 26 19:24:31 EST 2001

On Friday, January 26, 2001, at 12:49 AM, Jeshua Lacock wrote:

> Ok, the GUI seems usable with this build (unlike betas 9 & 10), however I cannot start a
> monitor.  Here is the output from the command line "d.mon":
>
> GRASS 5.0beta11 > d.mon start=x0
> using default visual which is TrueColor
> Visual is read-only or using a private colormap
> ncolors: 32768
> allocating memory...
> /usr/local/grass5/dev/fifo.1a: Operation not supported
> Graphics driver [x0] started
> Please start graphics monitor <x0>.
> Error - Graphics monitor <x0> not running!
> Problem selecting x0. Will try once more
> Please start graphics monitor <x0>.
> Error - Graphics monitor <x0> not running!
>
> I just reformatted my drive, installed Mac OS X and all the libraries, etc., and the
> Grass5 11 beta source code and I am stumped. The fifos are there.  Any ideas??

Hi all,

Could it be possible because I compiled as root?  I am usually root when I am doing system administration and the make script issued a warning concerning running as root and I continued anyways..

I am about to install Xfree86 4.02 with a Aqua patch so it runs inside the the Mac OS X Aqua interface to see if maybe that helps.  I am also going to make a distribution and install it on another machine or two..

Should install tcltk 8.3.2?  I am using 8.0.5 now.

I personally don't really need the GUI, however the build is far from complete (for most users) without it.

Thanks,

Jeshua Lacock
Cartographer/Owner
http://SierraMaps.com