[GRASS5] Where in the world are GRASS developers...

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Sun Jan 21 10:38:50 EST 2001

Hi Eric,

a nice idea!!

On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 10:31:46AM +0100, Radim Blazek wrote:
> Eric G . Miller wrote:
> > I was thinking we should have a world map showing the location of all
> > GRASS 5.0 developers/contributors.  I'll put it together if people want
> > to send me the following:
> >
> > NAME(S):  Name(s) of person(s) who contributed.
> > ORGANIZATION:  Optional affiliation to an organization.
> > LATITUDE:  Latitude where developer(s) live or work.
> > LONGITUDE: Longitude where developer(s) live or work.
> > NEAREST CITY:  Name of the nearest major city.
> > COMMENTS:  Any comments you'd like to make. (Please keep them small).
> >
> > For those contributors on the developers list who do not respond, you'll
> > be placed somewhere random in a large body of water - "Lost at Sea..."
> > 8^)
> >

> More fields?:
> NUMBER_OF_DEVELOPERS: may be used for mark size on the map
> FROM: when he/she started contributing
> TO:   when she/he stopped
>
> We could add to the CVS repository file DEV_SITES in site_lists format for that.
> Fresh maps could be generated for specified date by web server.

Radim,

sounds good to me. Like that we keep it in sync. What about using
HTMLMAP driver to generate the map?
http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/gdp/html_grass5/html/htmlmapdriver.html

We could use v.bubble to make the circles and use d.area/HTMLMAP then.

Does anyone have a free political world map (vector)? If so it could be
added to "global" dataset as well.

Markus