[GRASS5] GRASS beta11 and LZW...

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Thu Jan 18 11:50:33 EST 2001

Hi all,

it's done :-)

On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 08:27:43PM -0800, Eric G . Miller wrote:
> I know I'm becoming a regular pest about this...
It was the last time :-)

> Since the "beta11" (which was originally going to be simply a "make" fix
> for "beta10") has been substantially longer in coming and includes a
> number of changes, I request that we re-revert to using the new libz FP
> raster compression for this release.

[...]

I have deactivated LZW here in CVS:
src/libes/g3d/fpcompress.c
src/libes/gis/put_row.c
src/libes/gis/get_row.c

This requires a full re-compile of GRASS.

But wait!!!
1. First, you have to decompress all raster files.
   Use the script here:
   http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/announces/announce_lzw_removal.html
     fp_uncompress.sh

 Perform this job on *all* locations. Ok, it's boring but required.

2. Then re-compile GRASS to activate flate/zlib compression.

3. re-compress all raster maps:
   http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/announces/announce_lzw_removal.html
     fp_recompress.sh

Other option: Use the r.lzw2z written by Eric Miller:
http://www.jps.net/egm2/r.lzw2z.tgz

(Eric, please update the web server not to display this file but to
open the "save file" dialog, otherwise only lynx can download it
lynx -source http://www.jps.net/egm2/r.lzw2z.tgz > r.lzw2z.tgz
- a little bit inconvenient for thousand of users interested in r.lzw2z...
Or please rename to r.lzw2z.tar.gz)

r.lzw2z: the data is read/decoded/recoded to a temp file, then reread
         and if successful transferred back to the original.

Generally I think it would be o.k. to add it to GRASS since it does the
removal of LZW. But I am not a laywer.

Our motto: Welcome to the patent-free GRASS 5 beta11.

Regards

 Markus