[GRASS5] r.in.gdal

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jan 18 10:34:48 EST 2001

Folks,

I have updated r.in.gdal in CVS to first search in $GISBASE/lib for a
libgdal.1.1.so file, and done a simple test.

I have also prepared a shared library for linux for initial testing:

  ftp://gdal.velocet.ca/pub/outgoing/libgdal-linux-grass.tar.gz

This is more or less a normal libgdal but with the following caveats:

 o libpng, libtiff, libgeotiff, libjpeg, libungif are builtin to limit
   the number of dependencies.

 o libgrass support is disabled (no need for this in r.in.gdal, and it
   might cause all sorts of odd problems).

 o No OGR (vector) support, since r.in.gdal wouldn't utilize it anyways.

The dependencies of this library look like this:

warmerda at gdal3[195]% ldd ~/gdal/libgdal.1.1.so
        libz.so.1 => /usr/lib/libz.so.1 (0x40198000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x401a7000)
        libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 => /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 (0x401aa000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x401f0000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x4020d000)

The only part of this I don't like is the C++ shared library.  It is installed
on most modern Linux system, but some may lack it.  If so, grab the following
and put it in /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib (if in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH):

  ftp://gdal.velocet.ca/pub/outgoing/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3

If you update to the latest r.in.gdal from CVS you can just drop
the libgdal.1.1.so into $GISBASE/lib.  If you have the last beta you can
still use by putting it somewhere in the library path, perhaps /usr/local/lib.

I would appreciate feedback from people who try out r.in.gdal with this new
shared library.  If things go well it should be sufficient to add the library
to the $GISBASE/lib directory in the next binary build, and I am prepared to
build libraries for Solaris and IRIX as well.

I saw in the bugs list problems with r.in.tiff, and r.in.png.  Note that
r.in.gdal reads TIFF and 24bit png files.

If all goes well with r.in.gdal, I would also like to implement an r.out.gdal
and eventually import and export programs using the OGR library for various
vector formats.  A list of GDAL supported file formats can be found at:

  http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/formats_list.html

and it includes GeoTIFF, Arc/Info Binary Grid, CEOS (including SAR), DOQ,
DTED, Eosat Fast Format, ESRI BIL (.hdr labelled), GIF, Erdas Imagine, JPEG,
PNG, Netpbm, and SDTS DEM.

Best regards,