[GRASS5] GRASS beta11 and LZW...

Eric G . Miller egm2 at jps.net
Wed Jan 17 23:27:43 EST 2001

I know I'm becoming a regular pest about this...

Since the "beta11" (which was originally going to be simply a "make" fix
for "beta10") has been substantially longer in coming and includes a
number of changes, I request that we re-revert to using the new libz FP
raster compression for this release.

Additional Reasoning:

1) Hopefully this will be the *last* beta before we publish and announce
GRASS 5.0.  This *required* change, should see some more testing.
Initial testing has shown it works fine as a drop-in replacement.

2) We have to get that patented stuff out of GRASS.  Institutions such as
Baylor, Hannover and Intevation have a slight liability risk in hosting
this code (though I suspect we're well below UNISYS's radar, and I'm
not sure if Germany recognizes this patent???).  Nonetheless,
distribution of GRASS would surely be hampered by inclusion of patented
algorithms.

Okay, I've said my bit...

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>