[GRASS5] GRASS 5.0/5.1

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Wed Jan 17 04:49:20 EST 2001

Hi all,

again days are passing by... We have to act now!

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 09:45:35PM -0800, Eric G . Miller wrote:
[...]
> 1.  I vote we just publish a final GRASS 5.0 real soon.  We'll just be
> upfront about outstanding bugs (Note: we *really* need to turn off that
> LZW code then... seems most the other license/patent issues have been
> moved out of main src/compile tree).

GRASS 5.0 final:
 - do we want a beta11 release?
   -> Maybe yes, as we want to know
        o if the graphical login is really stable now
        o the updated Makefile works properly on any machine (I think yes)
        o test the LZW-removal

 - generally we need to agree about "what's final". As several bugs are
   still open, we have to consider if we can live with that and/or
   eventually comment buggy modules from the default compile list.

 - If we don't push the final release, we'll never get it out.

 - Personal minimum requirement for 5.0 stable is
    - working import/export modules (at least for the common formats)
    - configure stable
    - ?
    The current CVS version nearly fulfils it.

GRASS 5.1:
 - obviously there is no final agreement yet about the directory structure.
   Andreas pointed out that this directory structure might not be that
   important.
 - Question is
    - if we need to split into core and topic oriented packages
    - if we could split into core and topic oriented packages *without*
      splitting the source code

 Generally I think we should keep the sources directory structure as simple
 as possible. Something like
    /include
    /lib
    /display
    /raster
 So it differs slightly from my last proposal :-)

Cheers

 Markus