[GRASS5] STDS(DEM)2ASC and Possible Bug

Kevin Atkinson kevina at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jan 17 00:24:55 EST 2001

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Kevin Atkinson wrote:
> >
> > Attached which will convert STDS DEM files to a format suitable for
> > reading with r.in.ascii.  It is a modified version of STDS2ARC based on the
> > information presented at
> > http://www.baylor.edu/~grass/faq/importing_usgs_7_5min.html. It used the
> > Grass 5 "null:" field to set the null value.
> >
> > Also, I think I found a bug 5.0beta10:  When I import the file GRASS
> > draws two random dots in the upper left corner of the grid file being
> > imported.  In particular when I converted and imported the Savage, MD grid
> > I got a dot of value 0 in the corner and a dot of value 107 on the
> > left edge a little farther down.  Those values are not in the grid file.
> >
> > I suggest you update the above mentioned page to use my utility instead and
> > also change the title to "USGS 7.5min STDS DEM data" as I originally
> > overlooked it when trying to figure out how to make use of the STDS DEM
> > files as it only said "USGS 7.5min DEM data".
> >
> > I do not plan to farther enhance this utility other then to fix obvious
> > bugs as I am have a gazillion other projects which are higher on priority
> > list.  I also have no plans on becoming a grass developer.
>
> Kevin,
>
> For what it's worth, r.in.gdal will read SDTS DEM files directly to GRASS
> raster if GDAL is setup properly.  I just downloaded the binary distribution,
> ensured I had a /usr/local/lib/libgdal.1.1.so installed, and it worked fine.

Thanks for the info.  I did not release this.  Perhaps you can make it
more obvious by putting a note in the FAQ about importing formats with
GDAL and/or dummy modules such as r.in.gdal.stds, etc to make it more
about to someone browsing the manual pages.  The USGS 7.5min DEM data
should REALLY be rewritten, at very least it should include a note in the
beginning saying "NOTE: GDAL will import STDS DEM directly.  See r.in.gdal
for more info.  Somewhere near the beginning."

If I new this I would have download GDAL and saved my self a decent deal
of time.

---
Kevin Atkinson
kevina at users sourceforge net