[GRASS5] STDS(DEM)2ASC and Possible Bug

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jan 17 00:08:59 EST 2001

Kevin Atkinson wrote:

> Attached which will convert STDS DEM files to a format suitable for
> reading with r.in.ascii.  It is a modified version of STDS2ARC based on the
> information presented at
> http://www.baylor.edu/~grass/faq/importing_usgs_7_5min.html. It used the
> Grass 5 "null:" field to set the null value.
>
> Also, I think I found a bug 5.0beta10:  When I import the file GRASS
> draws two random dots in the upper left corner of the grid file being
> imported.  In particular when I converted and imported the Savage, MD grid
> I got a dot of value 0 in the corner and a dot of value 107 on the
> left edge a little farther down.  Those values are not in the grid file.
>
> I suggest you update the above mentioned page to use my utility instead and
> also change the title to "USGS 7.5min STDS DEM data" as I originally
> overlooked it when trying to figure out how to make use of the STDS DEM
> files as it only said "USGS 7.5min DEM data".
>
> I do not plan to farther enhance this utility other then to fix obvious
> bugs as I am have a gazillion other projects which are higher on priority
> list.  I also have no plans on becoming a grass developer.

Kevin,

For what it's worth, r.in.gdal will read SDTS DEM files directly to GRASS
raster if GDAL is setup properly.  I just downloaded the binary distribution,
ensured I had a /usr/local/lib/libgdal.1.1.so installed, and it worked fine.

Markus - I would like to include libgdal.1.1.so in the pre-built
distributions, at least the Linux one.  When are you thinking of doing
a beta 11 or final 5.0 release?  To make this work smoothly I would like
to have the libgdal.1.1.so just distributed in the grass5 tree, perhaps
/usr/local/grass5/lib, and to slightly update r.in.gdal to look there
as well as the usual locations.

Best regards,