[GRASS5] some BUGS/missing features

Eric G . Miller egm2 at jps.net
Thu Jan 4 21:39:40 EST 2001

On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 05:10:04PM +0000, Markus Neteler wrote:
> > s.buffer:
> > s.buffer is missing, but html-page is still there. s.buffer is IMHO no
> > longer needed, this is the same than v.circle?
> >
> > v.circle:
> > v.circle does echo an error with spearfish - bugsites data, but seems to
> > work ok. It says something about wrong attributes?
>
> Please try v.bubble - should be an improved version of v.circle.
> If v.bubble is the best, let's remove s.buffer and v.circle and rename
> v.bubble to v.circle.

Well, I can report a small problem I've had with v.bubble.  When
generating the buffers based on an attribute, it seems the smallest one
ends up with a zero area degenerate.  That wasn't the expected behavior.

I tried to write a version of s.buffer implementing the reported
features from the man page as well as the features of v.circle and
v.bubble.  The problem I had was figuring out how to handle overlapping
vector areas and dissolving the common boundaries.  It wasn't enough
just to generate a circle and put the area label in the middle, since
v.support would often choke on the results.  The available library
routines for a new vector layer weren't much help either.

> > s.to.vect:
> > s.to.vect does not find bugsites at PERMANENT when in users mapset (e. g.
> > 'andreas'), but does not flag this error when in interactive mode. The
> > module trys always to find the file in the actual mapset, not in the
> > @PERMANENT mapset. Should be a simple fix.
> Mhhh, volunteers?

I'll have a look since I worked on that before.  Note, s.to.vect is also
broken if the "category" number is a float (since it can't be a float in
the vector world).  I'll see if I can work around this as well.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>