[GRASS5] Re: [winGRASS] cygwin and winGRASS status update

John Huddleston jhudd at lamar.colostate.edu
Wed Jul 4 08:38:21 EDT 2001

Markus, (Cc to Andreas, Grass, WinGRASS and Glenn)

First and foremost, we have to have a stable version of Grass5
to build for the Windows environment.  If you are comfortable
that we cam make an application that is bug free and only
requires some "upgrades" then we're ready to go.

I suggest we travel to where most of the development
occurs.  This will minimize our travel costs.  Eric, Mike,
Andreas, are you all close to Markus?   I would take
off one week annual leave for this venture.   Air fares
are high now so we might want to wait until the fall.
Waiting would give us time to stabilize GRASS5.

Markus, would you identify who would make up the team?
Can we stay on campus at Hannover?  If not, find a
place and cost the arrangements and food.   We'll need
a room for discussion plus several fast computers.  Let's
start with Win2000 and then go to Windows ME next.
Depending upon time, we can discuss the 98 port.  I'll burn
a CD of my development environment and we can compare notes.

In the meantime lets identify all the parts needed to make
a WinGRASS distribution.

XDriver is one.     We purchased the X-Win32
version 5.01 but had problems running Grass and X11
applications.  I backed down to the version 4.  Go to
http://download.lycos.com/?form=advanced and search
for x-win414   There will be a list of ftp sites with the
version 4.   Andreas, this may help your xdriver situation.
The demo runs for two hours and you can evaluate it
without a purchase.

RPC is another.  I'll look into this.

Let's identify all the libraries that do not come from
http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/ or xfree and list them.

Others?

John Huddleston
"So little time, so many issues"