[GRASS5] Monitor Resize Problem

Bob Covill bcovill at tekmap.ns.ca
Wed Jul 18 20:02:47 EDT 2001

Glynn Clements wrote:

> > > How old was the previous (working) version?
> > >
> > > This would appear to be related to changes made between 2001/05/08 and
> > > 2001/06/04.
> > >
> > > The idea is that the window can't be resized while a client is
> > > connected to it. The reason being that the window is redrawn following
> > > a resize, which requires re-running the commands which were registered
> > > with D_add_to_list, and you can't have multiple clients connected
> > > simultaneously.
> > >
> > > It should be possible to resize the window when no client is connected
> > > though.
> > >
> > > Also, which window manager are you using? Does the problem go away if
> > > you use a different WM? What does "xprop" say about the window's
> > > WM_NORMAL_HINTS property?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Glynn Clements <glynn.clements at virgin.net>
> >
> > Glynn,
> >
> > The CVS entries from the last build I did on the Sun are from May 21,
> > 2001.
>
> OK; that predates the introduction of the resize restrictions.
> However:
>
> > The window manager I am using on the Sun is the dtwm, part of the
> > Solaris install. I do not know the version number off hand, but it is
> > the one packaged with Solaris 7, if that helps.
> >
> > Below is the output from xprops on the monitor ....
> >
> > WM_STATE(WM_STATE):
> >                 window state: Normal
> >                 icon window: 0x3404224
> > _DT_WORKSPACE_PRESENCE(_DT_WORKSPACE_PRESENCE) = 0x101
> > WM_PROTOCOLS(ATOM): protocols  WM_DELETE_WINDOW
> > WM_CLASS(STRING) = "x0", "GRASS 5.0.0pre1"
> > WM_HINTS(WM_HINTS):
> >                 bitmap id # to use for icon: 0x6800002
> > WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
> >                 program specified size: 450 by 400
>
> This suggests that the WM ought to allow the window to be resized.
> When resize is (intentionally) inhibited, xprop should show:
>
> WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
>                 program specified size: 450 by 400
>                 program specified minimum size: 450 by 400
>                 program specified maximum size: 450 by 400
>
> Can you try modifying src/display/devices/XDRIVER/XDRIVER24/Client.c,
> line 22. Currently, it should read:
>
>         szhints->flags = PSize;
>
> Settings worth trying include
>
>         szhints->flags = PPosition | PSize;

WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
                program specified location: 0, 0
                program specified size: 450 by 400

> and
>         szhints->flags = USPosition | USSize;

WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
                user specified location: 0, 0
                user specified size: 450 by 400

> and
>         szhints->flags = 0;

WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):

> Let me know which of these (if any) work.
>
> --
> Glynn Clements <glynn.clements at virgin.net>

Glynn,

I tried the above changes to Client.c.  I have appended the output from
xprop to each change, if that helps. Note that there were no HINTS for
flag = 0.

I was not able to resize the monitor after the abovce changes with the
exception of "flags = 0". In the case of "flags = 0" I was able to
resize the monitor until I drew in it. After that I was unable to resize
it.  The size seems to be getting locked somehow?? Could it be leaving a
lock (??) file somewhere?

For the above changes, I only did "gmake5 -i" in the XDRIVER24
directory. Does anything else have to be rebuilt to pick up the changes?

--
Bob Covill

Tekmap Consulting
P.O. Box 2016 Fall River, N.S.