[GRASS5] Monitor Resize Problem

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Jul 18 19:17:20 EDT 2001

Bob Covill wrote:

> > > This is probably a question for Glynn. I grabbed a recent copy of
> > > GRASS-5 from the CVS yesterday and built it on my Sun (ultra II) with
> > > Solaris 7.
> > >
> > > It was configured (for the build) with the flag "--enable-postgres=no".
> > > No other configure flags were used. GRASS built fine with no complaints,
> > > however after I start a monitor it cannot be resized. I have built other
> > > beta versions on the Sun with no problmes with the monitor. This seem
> > > sto be something new in the latest version (or something that I am doing
> > > wrong?)
> >
> > How old was the previous (working) version?
> >
> > This would appear to be related to changes made between 2001/05/08 and
> > 2001/06/04.
> >
> > The idea is that the window can't be resized while a client is
> > connected to it. The reason being that the window is redrawn following
> > a resize, which requires re-running the commands which were registered
> > with D_add_to_list, and you can't have multiple clients connected
> > simultaneously.
> >
> > It should be possible to resize the window when no client is connected
> > though.
> >
> > Also, which window manager are you using? Does the problem go away if
> > you use a different WM? What does "xprop" say about the window's
> > WM_NORMAL_HINTS property?
> >
> > --
> > Glynn Clements <glynn.clements at virgin.net>
>
> Glynn,
>
> The CVS entries from the last build I did on the Sun are from May 21,
> 2001.

OK; that predates the introduction of the resize restrictions.
However:

> The window manager I am using on the Sun is the dtwm, part of the
> Solaris install. I do not know the version number off hand, but it is
> the one packaged with Solaris 7, if that helps.
>
> Below is the output from xprops on the monitor ....
>
> WM_STATE(WM_STATE):
>                 window state: Normal
>                 icon window: 0x3404224
> _DT_WORKSPACE_PRESENCE(_DT_WORKSPACE_PRESENCE) = 0x101
> WM_PROTOCOLS(ATOM): protocols  WM_DELETE_WINDOW
> WM_CLASS(STRING) = "x0", "GRASS 5.0.0pre1"
> WM_HINTS(WM_HINTS):
>                 bitmap id # to use for icon: 0x6800002
> WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
>                 program specified size: 450 by 400

This suggests that the WM ought to allow the window to be resized.
When resize is (intentionally) inhibited, xprop should show:

WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
		program specified size: 450 by 400
		program specified minimum size: 450 by 400
		program specified maximum size: 450 by 400

Can you try modifying src/display/devices/XDRIVER/XDRIVER24/Client.c,
line 22. Currently, it should read:

	szhints->flags = PSize;

Settings worth trying include

	szhints->flags = PPosition | PSize;
and
	szhints->flags = USPosition | USSize;
and
	szhints->flags = 0;

Let me know which of these (if any) work.