[GRASS5] [bug #767] (grass) installing grass on mac os x

Request Tracker grass-bugs at intevation.de
Sun Jul 22 22:45:02 EDT 2001

this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=767

Subject: installing grass on mac os x

Platform: Mac OS X
Xwindows version: Xfree 4.0.x
grass downloaded at: Baylor site
grass binary for platform: Mac OS X binaries

I can't get past first base!  I downloaded all the binaries and merged
them with cat.  When I try to use the grass5install.sh script, it gives me
an error using gunzip (invalid compressed data--format violated).

I downloaded all the files twice, once with a browser and the second
time with FTP in I (binary) mode.  Both times yielded the same results.
What am I doing wrong?

>> Transcript of sh session:

root# sh grass5install.sh grass5.0beta11_Darwin_bin.tar.gz
GRASS GIS 5 binary package installation tool

Checking and creating installation directory...
/usr/local/grass5
/usr/bin/gunzip
Using gunzip decompressor...
The package grass5.0beta11_Darwin_bin.tar.gz seems to be o.k.
 Proceeding...

Installing GRASS binaries into /usr/local/grass5

Uncompressing the package and extracting to target directory...
grass5install.sh: read-only variable: PWD [217]
tar: Invalid header, starting valid header search.

gunzip: /Users/troy/documents/grass/
grass5.0beta11_Darwin_bin.tar.gz: invalid compressed data--format
violated
tar: End of archive volume 1 reached
An error occured or user break while installing binaries! Exiting.