[GRASS5] U.S. Census Tiger Files 2000...

Tom Rake duff_maps at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 23 17:37:41 EDT 2001

FWIW:

I just tried a few v.tig.in.lndmk imports with 2000 data and didn't find a
problem with one dataset.

Ascii delimited dumps are fine with me.

RIM I don't use and hasn't been useful when I tried.

***** My Other Random Comments

I have been parsing the Tiger files separately using perl scripts driven by
data dictionary files which I copy from the Tiger specs. I use these to
stuff Postgres with selected data for each record type mostly keyed by TLID.
I have had problems doing a v.reclass on v.tig.in.basic data (TLID are too
big for C [] operations) so I build by own reclass map in perl and write
.att and .cat file directly.

As a map company I class all chains that say are roads by name in a separate
category so I deal with each and every name. Thus I deal with categories
that number in the 10,000s or more.

-Tom Rake, The Duff Map Company.