[GRASS5] Where is gdal library?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jul 25 12:24:43 EDT 2001

Rich Shepard wrote:

>   I downloaded, built and installed last Tuesday's snapshot from the CVS
> repository. When I read the man page for r.in.gdal, the references tell me I
> need the pre-compiled library, libgdal-linux-grass.tar.gz. I cannot find
> this on my system and I don't know where to look for it on the web sites.
>
>   Has anyone knowledge of where I get this library?

Rich,

I try to keep one on:

  http://gdal.velocet.ca/projects/grass/index.html

>Is r.in.gdal now the preferred single module for the import of all raster
>data?
>
>I have some SDTS-formatted DEMs that I need to import and my search of the
>web pages broght me to r.in.gdal. Reading Frank's site about it confirmed
>that it's what I want to use.
>
>  What say you all?

I can't speak for everyone, but it is my hope to provide a substantial amount
of the raster importing support in GRASS via GDAL and r.in.gdal.  Obviously
other existing raster import will continue to work fine, and some formats may
never be added to GDAL, but I would like to encourage people interested in
adding new formats to GRASS to consider doing so within GDAL.  Also, since GDAL
is used in a number of projects (including a few commercial ones) you can
expect to see the GDAL format list growing over time from contributions
outside of GRASS.

Best regards,