[GRASS5] Where is gdal library?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Jul 25 12:35:05 EDT 2001

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> I try to keep one on:
>
>   http://gdal.velocet.ca/projects/grass/index.html

Frank,

  Many thanks.

> I can't speak for everyone, but it is my hope to provide a substantial amount
> of the raster importing support in GRASS via GDAL and r.in.gdal.  Obviously
> other existing raster import will continue to work fine, and some formats may
> never be added to GDAL, but I would like to encourage people interested in
> adding new formats to GRASS to consider doing so within GDAL.  Also, since GDAL
> is used in a number of projects (including a few commercial ones) you can
> expect to see the GDAL format list growing over time from contributions
> outside of GRASS.

  I would like to see a consolidation of functions within GRASS. As far as
I'm concerned, using GDAL for all raster imports/exports is the way to go.
Makes no sense to _me_ to have different tools for specific formats.

  Eventually, I'd like to see all terrain analysis function in a single
module, and carry this idea across all functional levels. But, that's just
my perspective. For example, on data format translators, I could make a case
for a single raster translator (my vote's for GDAL) and a single
vector/point translator. Neatens the desk, so to speak.

Thanks again, I'm off to get a copy of the library and try to get some
productive work done today. :-)

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
 + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
                 Making environmentally-responsible mining happen.