[GRASS5] C++ and GRASS

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Sun Jul 29 20:57:42 EDT 2001

Helena wrote:

> I am meeting with collegues from comp. science at Duke who have
> developed some great open source tools for GIS. It is in C++. I
> would greatly appreciate any feedback that you could give me about
> the use of C++ for GRASS modules/libraries, in particular - has
> anybody done it or doing it?

> Is it desirable or should all the code be in C to minimize
> compilation problems?

Ideally libraries should be in C. Using C++ isn't out of the question
(e.g. GDAL is C++), but it does create some problems. At a minimum,
libraries should be usable from C.

BTW, there's a guide to writing portable C++ at

	http://www.mozilla.org/hacking/portable-cpp.html

Some of it is specific to Mozilla, but most of it is generally
applicable.