[GRASS5] Darwin Pre1 gtty stty errors

Jeshua Lacock jeshua at SierraMaps.com
Tue Jun 5 01:18:19 EDT 2001

On Monday, June 4, 2001, at 06:21 PM, Glynn Clements wrote:

> So should I try and replace the calls myself, or would someone be
> willing to help?  An ideal simple test module that has this problem it
> d.colors.
>
> The current implementation of d.colors uses the TCGETA/TCSETAW
> ioctl()s if HAVE_TERMIO_H is defined and stty()/gtty() otherwise. If
> you're getting errors regarding stty() or gtty(), then it appears that
> configure hasn't detected the <termio.h> header.

Hello Glynn,

Hmm, I have two instances of "termios.h", one in /usr/include/termios.h
and /usr/include/sys/termios.h, however I cannot locate a file with the
name "termio.h" anywhere on my system.

> However, the ioctl()s themselves have been superseded by the POSIX.1
> tcgetattr() and tcsetattr() functions.
>
> A more significant "however" is that d.colors/tty.c is redundant; the
> only functions which are used are Get_old_tty() and Get_new_tty().
> These store the terminal settings before and after curses
> initialisation. But the stored settings are never used, i.e. neither
> Old_tty() nor New_tty() are called.
>
> I will commit a fix which removes this code, which should eliminate
> any portability considerations altogether. If you know of any other
> programs which do this, let me know.

I greatly appreciate the information, and better yet a fix!

The following 3 modules in addition to d.colors fails for the same
reason:

   i.points
   i.points3
   i.vpoints

Please let me know when I may update the module(s) and give it a whirl.

Thanks,

Jeshua Lacock
Cartographer/Owner
http://SierraMaps.com