[GRASS5] Darwin Pre1 NVIZ

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Tue Jun 5 06:07:41 EDT 2001

Jeshua Lacock wrote:

> I have built and installed Mesa 3.4 for Darwin, and NVIZ will not
> compile apparently  because  it cannot access a GL library.

Your output suggests that it compiles fine, but fails to link.

This implies that it found the headers but not the library.

> Could someone please enlighten me as to which header(s)/librarie(s) are
> not being found,

You should have libGL.a and libGLU.a (or similar; the extension may be
anything which the linker recognises as a library). If the Mesa
libraries use the old names (libMesaGL.a etc), they won't be found.

> and what my header should look like for the Mesa libs?

The OpenGL info is taken from the following section of
src/CMD/head/head.<platform>:

#openGL files for NVIZ/r3.showdspf
OPENGLINC           =  -I/usr/include -I/usr/X11R6/include
OPENGLwINC          =  -I/usr/include -I/usr/X11R6/include
OPENGLLIB           =  -L/usr/lib -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/lib/X11 -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lGL
OPENGLULIB          = -lGLU
LGLWM               = -lGLw
OPENGL32            =

What did configure have to say? Is there anything relevant in
config.log? A successful run will look something like:

configure:4183: checking GL/gl.h and GL/GLwMDrawA.h
configure:4226: checking for glBegin in -lGL
configure:4245: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   -lm  -L/usr/lib -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/lib/X11 -L/usr/X11R6/lib conftest.c -lGL   1>&5
configure:4270: checking for gluBeginCurve in -lGLU
configure:4289: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   -lm  -L/usr/lib -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/lib/X11 -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lGL conftest.c -lGLU   1>&5

Note the the subsequent tests (for the GLw and GLwM libraries) aren't
relevant to NVIZ, so it doesn't matter if they fail; it's the GL and
GLU libraries which matter.