[GRASS5] [bug #751] (grass) Automatic select of monitor

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Fri Jun 8 10:24:45 EDT 2001

Request Tracker wrote:

> Subject: Automatic select of monitor

> When using tcltkgrass with a saved configuration, a monitor opens
> automatically. However, occaisionaly, it is not selected and I have to
> select it manually. Perhaps the wait for socket connection is not long
> enough.

I don't know if this is related or not, but looking into this made me
realise that one of my planned changes was never implemented.

I've now changed the driver startup so that it doesn't fork() until
after listen() is called (in fact, immediately before the main loop).
This should completely eliminate any possibility of race conditions;
the socket will be in the LISTEN state before mon.start exits.

NB: sync_driver() (called from R_open_driver()) does depend upon the
monitor replying to the BEGIN command; however, it makes two attempts,
with timeouts of 5 and 10 seconds. The system would have to be
incredibly slow for even the first one to fail.