[GRASS5] grass font

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Jun 14 15:51:42 EDT 2001

Somesh Agarwal wrote:

> But I feel that present support on grass for fonts is very primitive
> and it will restrict its growth in local markets where localization
> is an important issue. I am trying to anable the bit map fonts (bdf) to
> be rendered on grass . Is there any one in the list who is interested in
> working with me ?? the idea is to rewrite the code for
> src/display/devices/lib
> relevant files so that we are able to write bitmap characters on the
> display device .. any takers

Note that there are currently 3 different drivers: XDRIVER (for the X
window system), PNG (which generates a PNG file) and CELL (which
generates a GRASS raster (cell) layer).

Adding BDF/PCF font support to XDRIVER would be fairly simple; adding
it to the other drivers less so.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the current display architecture
is, IMHO, long overdue for replacement with something more substantial.

Rather than expending significant effort on the existing drivers, it
might be better to contribute suggestions as to what functionality
should be included in any future display architecture in order to
support proper internationalisation.